Modern Musical Theatre - Seniors
Stage Two | Class
Training within a professional working theatre, our members will learn from industry professionals, each specialised in their own art form. The course will focus on building strong foundations, improving skills, and providing quality experiences in the 3 key disciplines of acting, singing and dancing. In our role as a major regional venue, we are also able to access additional training opportunities from touring musical companies, as well as our national artistic partners. Through this course members will master the techniques required to be a musical theatre performer in the 21st Century.
“I love it! I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to improve their skills.” - Participant
“A comfortable environment with friendly welcoming people who have the same hopes and ambitions as you.” - Participant
AGES: 13-19 (There is also a course for 8 – 12yrs) here
DAY: Sundays, 1-4pm
COST: 3 instalments of £150, or one payment of £390
DATES: 15 September 2019 – – 1 August 2020 (further details below)
VENUE: Stage Two
SUMMER MUSICAL 2020 - WEST SIDE STORY
The year will culminate in a full scale musical of West Side Story on the Theatre Royal main stage in July 2020. Senior Modern Musical Theatre students will be guaranteed a performance place in this production but are required to audition around February 2020 for specific roles.
It is important that students can attend all of the following classes and rehearsals. Please check your availability before applying.
Term Dates: 15 September – 1 December 2019 (exc. 20 Oct)
12 January – 29 March 2020 (exc. 16 Feb)
10 May – 1 August 2020 (no half term)
All Day Rehearsals:2 & 3 April 2020, 24 May 2020
Evening Rehearsals: Week commencing 20 July 2020
Full Weekend Rehearsal: 25-26 July 2020
27 July – 1 August 2020
Applications are open now. Please note that once the course is full we will close applications. Make sure you apply early!
- Application forms can be found here or at Stage Two reception.
Completed application forms should be sent to Stage Two by:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post: Stage Two, Norwich Theatre Royal, Theatre Street, Norwich, NR2 1RL
- We will respond to your application within 4 days of receiving it. Successful applicants will be invited to the next available audition workshop.
- Following auditions workshops, you will be emailed within 4 days to let you know if you have been successful.
- If you are offered a place you will need to make payment to secure your place within 7 days.
Next Audition Workshop Dates:
- July 21st 10am – 12noon
- August 6th, time tbc
- August 29th time tbc
Please note that once the course is full we will close applications, and therefore not all auditions workshops may take place. Make sure you apply early!
- You can either pay for the course in one lump sum or in 3 instalments.
- The deadlines for paying 2nd and 3rd instalments are 31 October 2019 and 31 March 2020 respectively. If you are struggling to make the payment by the deadline, please do not hesitate to contact us as soon as possible.
- Norwich Theatre Royal believes that everyone should have the opportunity to experience and participate in the arts. The NTR bursary fund has been set up to provide financial assistance to those who need it. Please see the bursary webpage or contact us for further details and how to apply.
- By signing up to this course, you are agreeing to the high level of commitment we expect from all our students to their learning, rehearsals and to each other.
We believe that quality training and experience is crucial for those wishing to enter the industry. This is why both within and alongside our courses there are always performance opportunities. Collaborating across all art forms and being aware of the different roles involved in producing productions is fundamental to our young people’s knowledge when entering the industry today.
We are lucky to have three very different stages to work with. Stage Two with its 120 seat versatile auditorium, the beautiful Playhouse seating 300 and our main house which seats 1300. We utilise the opportunities these stages bring for our students wherever possible.
In 2018/19 we produced six public productions plus many more in-house. These ranged from small cast shows as part of the National Theatre Connections Festival to a large scale production of Grease on our main stage. Our students performed to houses of 1100 per night, making it our most successful summer production to date. In 2019/20 our intention is to broaden our performance opportunities to include regional and national festivals.
NORWICH THEATRE ROYAL’S YOUNG COMPANY
The Young Company puts young people at the centre of the creative process to produce vibrant, innovative, and creative theatre. Our courses offer significant personal and educational benefits; developing self-esteem as well as improving communication and team-work skills whilst working in a professional, creative and nurturing environment. When members leave the Young Company at 18 years we aim for them to be well rounded, brave, confident and creative young people ready to enter and be successful in the wider world, regardless of their chosen pathways. In addition to the courses below, Young Company members where appropriate, are offered opportunities throughout the year to audition for additional performances, take part in extra workshops lead by touring companies, back stage tours, theatre trips and receive reduced ticket prices.
The Young Company includes the following courses:
Looking to join the course? We are operating a Waiting List and places are filled chronologically, so please don’t hesitate to sign up if you’re interested.
Please take a moment to read our Terms and Conditions of Take Part Activities at NTR
We work hard to ensure best practise and the safety of all who attend our activities. To do this we have a number of policies and procedures in place to support our participants and visitors. These are available at our reception in Stage Two, and here on our website including:-
- Anti-Bullying Policy
- Child Collection Policy
- Safeguarding Policy and Procedures
- Data Protection Policy
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Youth Participation Policy
- Code of Conduct