Modern Musical Theatre - Seniors
Stage Two | Class
Training within a professional working theatre, our members will learn from industry professionals, each specialised in their own art form.
The course will focus on building strong foundations, improving skills, and providing quality experiences in the 3 key disciplines of acting, singing and dancing. In our role as a major regional venue, we are also able to access additional training opportunities from touring musical companies, as well as our national artistic partners.
We are lucky to have three very different stages to work with. Stage Two with its 120 seat versatile auditorium, the beautiful Playhouse seating 300 and our main house which seats 1300.
Through this course members will master the techniques required to be a musical theatre performer in the 21st Century. The year will culminate in a full scale musical of West Side Story on the Theatre Royal main stage performed by Seniors for a week in July 2020.
“I love it! I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to improve their skills.” - Participant
“A comfortable environment with friendly welcoming people who have the same hopes and ambitions as you.” - Participant
AGES: 13-19 (There is also a course for 8 - 12yo here
DAY: Sundays, 1-4pm
COST: £390, or 3 instalments of £150
DATES: 15 September – 1 December 2019 (exc. 20 Oct)
12 January – 29 March 2020 (exc. 16 Feb)
10 May – 1 August 2020 (no half term)
VENUE: Stage Two
We believe that quality training and experience is crucial for those wishing to enter the industry. This is why both within and alongside our courses there are always performance opportunities. Collaborating across all art forms and being aware of the different roles involved in producing productions is fundamental to our young people’s knowledge when entering the industry today.
In 2018/19 we produced six public productions plus many more in-house. These ranged from small cast shows as part of the National Theatre Connections Festival to a large scale production of Grease on our main stage. Our students performed to houses of 1100 per night, making it our most successful summer production to date. In 2019/20 our intention is to broaden our performance opportunities to include regional and national festivals.
Summer Musical 2020 - West Side Story
The Modern Musical Theatre course will culminate in a full scale production of West Side Story on the main Norwich Theatre Royal stage.
Senior Modern Musical Theatre students will be guaranteed a performance place in this production but are required to audition around February 2020 for specific roles.
There will be additional rehearsals on top of normal class times. If you are not able to make these dates, please do not apply.
ALL DAY REHEARSALS: 2 & 3 April 2020, 24 May 2020
EVENING REHEARSALS: Week commencing 20 July 2020
FULL WEEKEND REHEARSAL: 25-26 July 2020
SHOW WEEK: 27 July – 1 August 2020
PLEASE DO NOT APPLY IF YOU CANNOT MAKE THESE DATES
Applications from new members – 7 June – 18 July 2019
- Applications from new members will be accepted from 7 June 2019 and close 18 July.
- Application forms can be found here or at Stage Two reception.
- Completed application forms should be sent to Stage Two by:
Post: Stage Two, Norwich Theatre Royal, Theatre Street, Norwich, NR2 1RL
- Successful applicants will be invited to an audition workshop on Sunday 21 July, 10am-1pm.
- You will be emailed by 24 July and informed if you have been successful and offered a place.
- If you are offered a place, the deadline for your first instalment is 31 July 2019.
- You can either pay for the course in one lump sum or in 3 instalments.
- The deadlines for paying 2nd and 3rd instalments are 31 October 2019 and 31 March 2020 respectively.
- Failure to make payment by the deadline will result in the participant being removed from the course.
- If you are struggling to make the payment by the deadline, please do not hesitate to contact us as soon as possible.
- Norwich Theatre Royal believes that everyone should have the opportunity to experience and participate in the arts. The NTR bursary fund has been set up to provide financial assistance to those who need it. Please see the bursary webpage or contact us for further details and how to apply.
- By signing up to this course, you are agreeing to the high level of commitment we expect from all our students to their learning, rehearsals and to each other.
Norwich Theatre Royal’s Young Company
The Young Company puts young people at the centre of the creative process to produce vibrant, innovative, and creative theatre. Our courses offer significant personal and educational benefits; developing self-esteem as well as improving communication and team-work skills whilst working in a professional, creative and nurturing environment. When members leave the Young Company at 18 years we aim for them to be well rounded, brave, confident and creative young people ready to enter and be successful in the wider world, regardless of their chosen pathways. In addition to the courses below, Young Company members where appropriate, are offered opportunities throughout the year to audition for additional performances, take part in extra workshops lead by touring companies, back stage tours, theatre trips and receive reduced ticket prices.
The Young Company includes the following courses:
Please take a moment to read our Terms and Conditions of Take Part Activities at NTR
We work hard to ensure best practise and the safety of all who attend our activities. To do this we have a number of policies and procedures in place to support our participants and visitors. These are available at our reception in Stage Two, and here on our website including:-
- Anti-Bullying Policy
- Child Collection Policy
- Safeguarding Policy and Procedures
- Data Protection Policy
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Youth Participation Policy
- Code of Conduct