The Ensemble 13 - 17 yrs
Course | Stage Two
The Ensemble course provides an introduction to a style of work which is both fun and dynamic.
The Ensemble’s approach creates a physical language to tell stories and explore themes, using gesture, high-energy, often risk-taking dynamic movement and expressive communication.
Developing and training the imaginative process, with an emphasis on devising ensemble at its core, members will learn about movement, physical theatre, neutral mask, commedia and image-making. These new skills will create visually stunning, original and surprising performances.
DATES: 12 September – 28 November 2019 (excl. 24 Oct)
9 January – 26 March 2020 (excl. 20 Feb)
23 April - 9 July 2020 (excl. 28 May)
DAYS & TIMES: Thursdays 6.30-8.30pm, 33 weeks
COST: 3 instalments of £70 or annual fee £180*
*The deadlines for second and third instalments are 31 October 2019 and 31 March 2020 respectively.
VENUE: Stage Two
No experience is necessary – the main requirement is enthusiasm. However, participants are expected to make full commitment to the whole course and must be prepared to work as part of a team.
The course is facilitated by professional movement and drama practitioners all experienced in their field.
Priority booking period for students currently on other Young Company courses – 29 May – 6 June 2019
- Students on other courses will be given a priority booking period between 29 April and 6 June 2019.
- To secure your place, you need to pay a non-refundable deposit of £20 by 6 June 2019.
- The deadline for the remainder of the first instalment is 30 June 2019.
Booking from new members – 7 June – 31 July 2019
- Booking for new members not on any of our courses will be open from 7 June 2019 and close 31 July 2019.
- The deadline for your first instalment is 31 July 2019.
- You can either pay for the course in one lump sum or in 3 instalments.
- The deadlines for paying 2nd and 3rd instalments are 31 October 2019 and 31 March 2020 respectively.
- Failure to make payment by the deadline will result in the participant being removed from the course.
- If you are struggling to make the payment by the deadline, please do not hesitate to contact us as soon as possible.
- Norwich Theatre Royal believes that everyone should have the opportunity to experience and participate in the arts. The NTR bursary fund has been set up to provide financial assistance to those who need it. Please see the bursary webpage or contact us for further details and how to apply.
- By signing up to this course, you are agreeing to the high level of commitment we expect from all our students to their learning, rehearsals and to each other.
Norwich Theatre Royal’s Young Company
The Young Company puts young people at the centre of the creative process to produce vibrant, innovative, and creative theatre. Our courses offer significant personal and educational benefits; developing self-esteem as well as improving communication and team-work skills whilst working in a professional, creative and nurturing environment.
As the region’s largest professional working theatre it is fundamental to our principles that we offer high quality industry training to all our students. We recognise not everyone wishes to enter the industry on a professional level, but believe our students understand and appreciate the discipline and lifelong skills that are learnt from taking part in quality arts provision.
When members leave the Young Company at 18 years we aim for them to be well rounded, brave, confident and creative young people ready to enter and be successful in the wider world, regardless of their chosen pathways.
In addition to the courses below, Young Company members where appropriate, are offered opportunities throughout the year to audition for additional performances, take part in extra workshops led by touring companies, back stage tours, theatre trips and receive reduced ticket prices.
The Young Company includes the following courses:
- Young Actors (8-18yrs)
- Backstage (Tech and Design) (13-17yrs)
- The Ensemble (13-17yrs)
- Modern Musical Theatre (8-12yrs and 13-17yrs)
- Trinity Performance Exams (7-17yrs)
We believe that quality training and experience is crucial for those wishing to enter the industry. This is why both within and alongside our courses there are always performance opportunities. Collaborating across all art forms and being aware of the different roles involved in producing productions is fundamental to our young people’s knowledge when entering the industry today.
We are lucky to have three very different stages to work with. Stage Two with its 120 seat versatile auditorium, the beautiful Playhouse seating 300 and our main house which seats 1300.
In 2018/19 we produced six public productions plus many more in-house. These ranged from small cast shows as part of the National Theatre Connections Festival to a large scale production of Grease on our main stage. Our students performed to houses of 1100 per night, making it our most successful summer production to date. In 2019/20 our intention is to broaden our performance opportunities to include regional and national festivals.
For enquiries about the course contact Stage Two reception on 01603 598600, or email email@example.com.
Norwich Theatre Royal have been delivering acting courses for children, young people and adults very successfully for over twenty-five years. The team are based at Stage Two, the Theatre Royal’s education and learning centre.
Activities are dependent on minimum numbers participating, in the event that we need to cancel due to low participant numbers, a full refund will be given. We are unable to offer refunds in other circumstances.
We work hard to ensure best practise and the safety of all who attend our activities. To do this we have a number of policies and procedures in place to support our participants and visitors.
Please take a moment to read our Terms and Conditions, Participants Guidance and associated policies on the Take Part / Information section of our website. Alternatively paper copies are available at our reception in Stage Two.