Our work experience placements take place in the main Norwich Theatre Royal building and are mainly aimed at Year 10 students (14-15 years old), but anyone who is studying/building a career in theatre is welcome to apply.
We offer one week placements in Backstage Technical and Front of House during which you will spend time shadowing and assisting within your preferred department. Please see the placement descriptions for further details.
Please note, as our theatre is a receiving venue we do not at present offer placements in Wardrobe, Make-up, Set Design or Administration.
We recommend that you apply for a placement at least six months before your preferred date. Applications can take up to eight weeks to process. If your requested date is unavailable we will do our best to offer you an alternative date. Please note that June, July and August dates are very popular and are often fully booked.
We have no Backstage Technical placements available in July 2020. Please consider applying for alternative dates.
How To Apply
You can apply for a work experience placement by completing our online application form:
Please note that as part of your application you will need to provide;
- A covering Letter/Email
- A CV
- A Reference from someone who is not a parent or family member
- A recent photograph or headshot of yourself
What We Are Looking ForSuccessful candidates usually display the following:
- An active interest in attending Theatre and Live Events
- Past experience of participating in Theatre and Live Events either as a performer or behind the scenes.
- An enthusiasm to learn by getting ‘hands on’ experience.
- The ability to work in what can be a high pressure, fast moving environment and also the maturity to be attentive during quieter periods.
- Some knowledge of work in an industrial environment and a basic understanding of the Health and Safety issues you may encounter.
- The ability to work as a part of a team and also to carry out individual tasks accurately with minimal supervision.
- Good social skills with an ability to communicate with a wide range of people without inhibition.
- Punctuality and an ability to work to a weekly schedule that will only be finalised on the first day of the placement.
- Confirmation that you are applying for a 1 week placement.
- Whether you are applying for a Backstage Technical or Front of House placement.
- The date of the placement you are applying for.
- Describe your skills and experience and tell us about which areas of theatre work/live events interest you.
- Tell us what you might like to achieve from your placement.Tell us why you would like to undertake work experience at Norwich Theatre Royal and how it relates to any future career plans.
- A list of your achievements and interests.
- Any qualifications achieved.
- Predicted qualifications (if relevant).
- Current place of education or employment (if relevant).
- Information on any previous work experience, jobs or volunteering you have undertaken.
- Personal details including name, address, phone number, email address.
Norwich Theatre Royal reserves the right to cancel placements at any time. We will endeavour to offer alternative dates to those placements that have already been confirmed following an interview.
We look forward to receiving your application.
General InformationHelpful Links
If you require guidance or assistance with your C.V please click on the links below.
NCS - Writing a CV
BBC - How to write a CV
The Stage Management Association has a helpful career guide available which gives more information about technical careers. Pages 3 to 9 are especially relevant to placements at Norwich Theatre Royal.
Other useful links relating to work experience and careers in theatre can be found here .
Please send general Work Experience enquiries to email@example.com. We will endeavour to get back to you within 72 hours.
Other Training Opportunities
Norwich Theatre Royal offers a number of other training opportunities for participants interested in gaining more backstage experience. Our Young Technicians course for 18-25 year olds is an eight week course that covers a range of backstage roles.
Our Backstage Technical and Design courses for 13-17 year olds are seven week courses focusing on technical aspects of theatre including both operation and theatre design.