Stage Two | Class
Intake for Actor’s Lab 2019-2020 is now closed.
The Actor’s Lab is strictly limited to 16 creative young people each year. Participants work together as a company to develop, produce and perform their own theatre over a year. Lab members will decide if they wish to produce a piece of new writing, a devised show, an interactive event, or a traditional or contemporary text.
The company will be supported by our in-house team of industry professionals, including specialist practitioners, directors and technicians. Training opportunities will be offered relevant to build their skills as a theatre company as well as performers. The Actors lab can explore a variety of different performance opportunities each year, which may include performing within our own venues as well as taking part in national festivals.
DAYS & TIMES: Wednesdays 7.30 – 9.30pm 33 weeks
COST: 3 instalments of £80*, or £210 annually (Bursaries available)
VENUE: Stage Two
DATES*: 9 Oct –11 Dec 2019. 8 Jan– 1 April 2020, 29 April – 8 July 2020 (excl. 29 May)
*Extra rehearsals may be added by participant’s agreement when appropriate to support performances.
- Places are strictly limited, with a maximum of 16 places offered at any one time.
- Applications for the 2019/20 intake are now closed.
- Keep and eye out for futher details on how to apply fro the 2020/21 intake.
- Participants should wear loose comfortable clothing suitable for movement. The open evening will involve group based activities giving prospective Actors Lab members a chance to take part in a series of creative tasks.
The Empirical Company (16-25 years)
Empirical’ adjective: derived from or guided by experience or experiment.
Our Empirical Company offers a feeling of a supportive community where members are enabled to discover different energies, forms and techniques, plus new methods of making and creating performances. It is about taking a leap into the unknown.
Whilst members must have prior experience of performing, we aim to provide them with a training program that will support them technically, conceptually and personally to discover and shape their own unique artistic visions.
Training covers a wide range of approaches from acting, dance and movement to self-scripting, technical skills and performance. Our goal is to facilitate the development of young artists who have the skill, vision and courage to create vital new and exciting theatre.
Members also receive:
- Discounted or free theatre tickets across our three stages for selected shows.
- Invitations to associated events across our venues.
- A reduced rate for hiring studio spaces
- Free workshops with visiting companies where appropriate
The Empirical Company includes the following programmes for 16-25yrs- Airborne
- The Actor’s Lab
- Young Technicians
* The deadline for second and third instalments are 31 November 2019 and 31 March 2020 respectively.