Norfolk Schools Opera Project
The Norfolk Schools Opera Project is an opera-based arts project that Norwich Theatre Royal delivers annually to selected primary schools. We work with the older range of Key Stage 2 (Years 6 and 5 primarily but also Year 4 when in conjunction with an older year group) and do not discriminate against perceived geographical or socio-economic barriers.
For our Autumn 2017 project we are working with three Primary Schools in the city of Norwich and using the music and themes from The Barber of Seville as an inspirational starting point. The schools will work independently on their own projects and come together for a performance on stage at Norwich Theatre Royal on Sunday 12th November 2017.
The project includes teacher training workshops.
If you have any questions, would like to book your place/s for the teacher workshop or if you are keen for your school to participate in a future Norfolk Schools Opera Project please write in the first instance to the Education Department stating your interest: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01603 598625
For schools interested in taking part in the future, there are a few requirements;
- A tuned, available piano or full-size organ.
- A rehearsal space big enough to accommodate the class during rehearsals and an in-school performance.
- A minimum class size of about 20. Smaller schools where different year groups are taught together can also apply (where the individual year groups are smaller than 20).
- A class teacher who is committed to actively participating with their class in the project.
- A Head Teacher who is committed to the project by allowing the participating class to be flexible to their approach to their curriculum/ timetable for the duration of the project.
Download the NSP Autumn 2016 Evaluation Summary
Some quotes from previous projects:-
“Thanks for giving us a chance…..I had the best time of my life and I would love to do it again.” - Pupil
“Some of the children that have attended our “Nurture Group”, that have emotional needs, have blossomed into far more confident children with a higher level of self esteem. Thank you for giving our pupils the opportunity to participate in such an exciting project.” - Teacher
"I am pleased my daughter had this opportunity. I was surprised by her positive reaction to the project .I am looking forward to taking her to the theatre in the future.” - Parent
Norwich Theatre Royal is a Registered Charity No. 262259. If you would like to support this unique project please contact the Development Department to discuss the project in more detail. Please contact Paula Sanchez, email@example.com or call 01603 598558
- 349 teachers from 123 schools have taken part in the participative in-school project.
- The remaining teachers, who have not yet taken part in the performing part of the project, will have used the skills learnt at the teacher workshop in the classroom; an indirect effect on another 24,750 Key Stage 2 children (taking the average class size to be 30).
- More than 1110 teachers from around 230 different schools have booked places and attended our free teachers’ music workshops since the project began in 1997.
- A total of 3,323 children have taken part in the performing part of the project. Over 35,400 family and community members have watched children’s performances. 19,938 free Norwich Theatre Royal ticket vouchers have been distributed (6 per participant). In Norfolk there are 22,785 Key Stage 2 children attending 302 schools. (These figures are for 8 -11 year olds only. This does not include numbers for Yr.3)
Teacher Packs and CDs
We have a library of previous project’s Teacher Resource Packs with ideas on how to construct your own mini-operas that you can use in the classroom. We also have CDs of selected tracks from some of the opera titles to compliment the Teacher Resource packs.
Titles available include Carmen, The Marriage of Figaro, La Boheme, The Three Musketeers, Hansel and Gretel, Cosi Fan Tutte, Don Pasquale and Lord of the Flies. A full list of titles is available from our Learning and Education Department.
If you would like to receive a free Teacher Resource Pack and CD, or receive further information, please contact us.
DVDs Available to Purchase
DVDs of the final performance on stage at Norwich Theatre Royal are available for the following projects:
- Autumn 2016 ~ Madama Butterfly (Little Plumstead Primary School; Neatishead Primary School; Salhouse Primary School)
- Spring 2016 ~ Sleeping Beauty (Harford Manor School, Poringland Primary School, Trowse Primary School)
- Autumn 2015 ~ Don Pasquale (Brisley Primary School; Great Dunham Primary School; Litcham Primary School)
- Spring 2015 ~ La Boheme (Magdalen Gates Primary School; Kinsale Junior School; Firside Junior School)
- Autumn 2014 ~ Lord of the Flies (Diss Junior School, Pulham Primary School, St. Mary's Junior School)
- Spring 2014 ~ The Magic Flute (St Francis of Assisi Primary School, Henderson Green Primary School, West Earlham Junior School)
Earlier projects are also available from 2005 to 2013. To order a copy of any of the above titles please send a cheque for £6.00 (+£1.20 p&p) made out to Norwich Theatre Royal and state which performance DVD you wish to purchase. Please include your name and an address.
Learning and Education Department, Stage Two, C/O Norwich Theatre Royal, Theatre Street, Norwich, Norfolk, NR2 1RL